Monday, December 04, 2006

The Rat Within the Grain - Damien Rice

I was lucky enough to catch Fiona Apple and Damien Rice together in concert over the summer - both artists that i was hoping i'd be lucky enough to see live some day. The tickets were great, i took a fellow music lover along with me (big Dyl), and just enjoyed the hell out of it. It wasn't at all what i expected from either artist, but i think i'd rather be surprised anyway.

Damien Rice is a strange one to see in concert. At that point he really only had one album of songs, but many many more that he had played live. Since he was the opening act he only had an hour to play, but his penchant for experimentation didn't really lend itself to those confines. In the end, the stagehands all but dragged him off the stage.

There was one song that Damien Rice played that i had never heard before, but it stuck with me. The lyrics just grab at me.

I wouldn't want you to want
To be wanted by me
I wouldn't want you to worry
You'd be drowned within my sea
I only wanted to be wonderful
And wonderful is true
In truth I only really wanted
To be wanted by you
When i got home i looked for a recording of this song, or even a title, but could only find a crappy, static-filled version from a show he did in Saratoga a few nights before. I put up with it for awhile, hoping it would show up on his new album, 9. It didn't, even though it's better than a lot of the songs on the album, but at least he recorded it for a B-side to the first single. I like the live version better, but this will have to do.

Listen : http://savefile.com/files/316251
Buy 9 : [ Amazon ] [ iTunes ]


bonus.... this next song is so much better live than on the album (my opinion), so here's the wailing version. Buy the album and hear the rest of it, but this one has been with me for over a year now so i keep coming back to it anyway

Listen : Fuck You (Rootless Tree) : http://savefile.com/files/316314


,

( song links are only good for 7 days or 25 downloads.
request a repost if you're desperate to listen
)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home