Thursday, September 07, 2006

metaphorically speaking, volume 2: Bright Eyes

This second installment of metaphorically speaking will just focus on Bright Eyes, because Conor's writing is just that fuckin' good...


Wish i knew someone named June to dedicate this one to...

well spring, it did come slowly, but i guess it did its part.
my heart has thawed and continues to beat

-- June on the West Coast, live at Bonnarroo 2006 [listen expired] [album]



This song makes me think too much, which i don't always like to do. I play it too often anyway, but some day i'll stop.

And so I raise my glass to symmetry
To the second hand and its accuracy

To the actual size of everything

The desert is the sand

You can't hold it in your hand

It won't bow to your demands

-- I Believe in Symmetry, Bright Eyes [listen expired] [album]



I never really understood this song until i heard Bright Eyes play it live last summer. I could have cried right there on the spot. It's weird how personal the songs become when you get to see the musician sing it.

Well you say that I treat you like a book on a shelf
I don't take you out that often 'cause I know that I completed you
and that's why you are here
That's the reason you stay here

How awful that must feel
-- You Will. You? Will. You? Will. You? Will. Bright Eyes [listen expired] [album]

,

( song links are only good for 7 days or 25 downloads.
request a repost if you're desperate to listen
)

2 Comments:

Blogger simply susie said...

Can you repost the song, "I Believe in Symmetry?" Yousendit would not allow me to download due to usage of the system.

Thanks,
SimplySusie

9/08/2006 2:06 AM  
Blogger simply susie said...

I took the plunge and bought two albums by Bright Eyes, "Digital Ash In a Digital Urn" and "Fevers and Mirrors." Been into albums lately, perhaps because I skipped this phase as a teenager.

Thanks for sharing,
SimplySusie

9/08/2006 2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home