Saturday, August 19, 2006

Hotcha Girls - Ugly Casanova

I've had this song floating around on my computer for a few years. I have no idea where i found it, but i seem to remember putting it on a mix CD made for a long drive down the valley. It was one of those situations where you have this new song that you really want other people to listen to, and like, but they don't really hear it, though you try to force them to a few times. I think A Lover I Don't Have to Love was on there too, the beginning of my Bright Eyes angst. She didn't really like either of them.

I ran into the song on RegnYouth last week and this time got some context for it. Ugly Casanova was/is a solo project of Isaac Brock, lead singer of Modest Mouse. It all makes sense now. The whole album is really good, haunting. This is still my favorite song from it though.

We left our teeth marks on the barrel of the gun,
the clipper ship across your chest.

Turns out the pony only had one trick, a wink for the truck stop boys.

They learned it all from the polaroids.


Listen: [link expired]
[ Buy the Album ]

,

( song links are only good for 7 days or 25 downloads.
request a repost if you're desperate to listen
)