Saturday, April 11, 2009

happy songs for a beautiful spring day

It's been way too long since i've posted anything here, so i thought for this little mini-return I'd go ahead and post a collection of happy songs that have been keeping me company the last few months. It's a nice way to bounce and smile on this beautiful spring day. Enjoy...

Port O'Brien : I Woke Up Today

I used to listen to this one in the shower. I first heard it on a podcast from KEXP. It's just about perfect, though i've heard the album version is nothing compared to the live rendition where they pass out pots and pans and other noisemakers to the audience. Makes me want to yell and scream and dance.
in the morning, all i could do was sing

Feist : Inside & Out
I use to listen to the acoustic/unmix version of this one, but it's much more solemn and at this point it's not where i want to return to. This version is closer to the 70's disco original though. i didn't even know it was a cover until it came on the stereo while we were passing out cups of vodka lemonade at Burning Man last summer.
too many lovers in one lifetime ain't good for you

Iron & Wine / Calexico : History of Lovers
I've never really gotten into Calexico, but lately this little collaboration with I&W has grabbed my attention and won't let go.
Coddle some men, they’ll remember you bitterly
Fuck ‘em, they’ll come back for more

the Beatles : the Ballad of John & Yoko
I would have posted Ob-la-di Ob-la-da but that would just be too clichéd, even though i think it's just about the happiest song ever recorded. This one gets to me too, though i guess some people still hate Yoko Ono enough to never listen to it.


Jessice Lea Mayfield : You've Won Me Over
I found this lovely songstress on someone's top albums list for last year and feel hard enough to actually go shell out some cash for her album. This isn't the happiest song on the list (which is why i buried it in the middle) but it makes a nice, serene smile steal its way onto my face.
Come get me drunk
Tell me I'm pretty
Tell me you want me by your side

Two Gallants : Steady Rollin'
I'm sure i've written about Two Gallants in the past, at least once. If not it's because i didn't want to just gush all over the internet like a drunken schoolgirl. Most of their songs are deep and dark and remind me of old mossy oak trees in front of southern mansions. This one's a little brighter.
But if you should e'er need me,
I'll go where'er you lead me.

K'naan : If Rap Gets Jealous
Along with Port O'Brien, this is the other song that first made me think of posting this list. It's attached to people/time/memories but the love is still there. Someday i'd love to run into this dusty foot philosopher out in the real world.


Modest Mouse : Styrofoam Boots/It's All Nice on Ice, Alright
I got to see Modest Mouse with my son again a few weeks ago. They didn't play this song, but when it gets going it does a good job of capturing the rowdy bliss that they bring to their stage shows. That and i love the absurd conversations Skyelar and I have had over the meaning of the lyrics.
Well all's not well
but i'm told that it'll all be quite nice
you'll be drowned in boots like Mafia
but your feet will still float like Christ's
and i'll be damned
they were right
i'm drowning upside down
my feet afloat like Christ's

( song links are only good for 7 days or 25 downloads.
request a repost if you're desperate to listen
)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home