Friday, July 07, 2006

Cover Songs Ahoy Ahead


So this will be well known cover songs by obscure artists. These are some of my favorite songs that I ended up searching for one night on emusic.com and I was very surprised at the results and talent.
First up will be a strange Americana lofi band called simply 'Ox.' The song is one of my favorite Woody Guthrie songs, Deportee (plane wreck at los gatos). Going along with all of the anti-immigrant fever (ie excuse to take our minds off of the war) I figured this song was good.
Deportee.

Patty Griffin. There was always something so lonely in these lyrics as on the entire record (her record 1000 Kisses and BS' The river) and here the guitar only amplifies the meaning.
Stolen Car

Not much is known about this next artist, I only found her somewhere on the web; Angela McCluskey and she is covering here, one of my favorite Leonard Cohen songs, as well as one of my favorite songs of all times. This is an interesting interpretation of Famous Blue Raincoat, covered by all sorts of artists, including Tori Amos. This version has exotic percussion and mid-eastern violins (I am sure they have a better name).
Famous Blue Raincoat.

Adding fuel to already burned out flame is another strange band called Drunk doing a great tune of Leonard Cohen's One of us Cannot be Wrong. "I heard of a saint who had loved you,
so I studied all night in his school. He taught that the duty of lovers is to tarnish the golden rule. And just when I was sure that his teachings were pure he drowned himself in the pool. His body is gone but back here on the lawn his spirit continues to drool. An Eskimo showed me a movie he'd recently taken of you: the poor man could hardly stop shivering, his lips and his fingers were blue. I suppose that he froze when the wind took your clothes and I guess he just never got warm. But you stand there so nice, in your blizzard of ice, oh please let me come into the storm."

One of Us Cannot Be Wrong.

Lastly will be The Eels with strings' live version of the Poor Side of Town by Johnny Mathis. ( A lot of people may not know this, but yes, he was black.) "Oh, with you by my side This world can't keep us down Together we can make it baby From the poor side of town"
Poor Side of Town.

( song links are only good for 7 days or 25 downloads.
request a repost if you're desperate to listen
)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home