Friday, March 24, 2006

Praise Jah, it's Billie Jean...


I’m verging on the corny once again, but for some reason this song has been delighting me for months. Like the Al Green/The Doors combo, I think it’s the successful incongruence that appeals. A dub version of a Michael Jackson smash?

My source for such odd-ball songs is the (British) series of Back to Mine albums that have been around for ten years or so. Famous folks like Groove Armada, Faithless, and Everything But the Girl are asked to compile an album of the sort of tracks you’d listen to if you went ‘back to theirs’ after a night out. I have five or so and love, love, love them all. A lot of the songs fall into the straight ‘chill-out’ genre that I’ve been introduced to over the last year or so, but once in a while there’s a quirky song like these last two…

“People always told me be careful of what you do
And don’t go around breaking young girls’ hearts
And mother always told me be careful of who you love
And be careful of what you do ’cause the lie becomes the truth”

http://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3KABR69RJMVIT0JQID7CPSEZUV

( song links are only good for 7 days or 25 downloads.
request a repost if you're desperate to listen
)

1 Comments:

Blogger jojoware said...

I love, love, love Billie Jean... for-eva. This is an oddball version, but great in its own right. Thanks for sharing.

And i love the concept of the Back to Mine mix tape. Best reasoning for a compilation album that i've heard in a long time. Feel free to dig out some other gems in the future.

3/24/2006 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home